2010-07-31

I for Individuality

I've been silent for quite a long period now. That's because my next letter, I proved to be much more difficult than any of the previous ones. I didn't feel like leafing through a dictionary and trying to find a word in that way. Instead I took a break.
And now, just about 20 seconds ago a word, the word popped into my mind.

So I is for Individuality.
I'm the sort of person who embraces the diversity and variety of the world. I love many kinds of music, books, movies, clothes, food, weathers, pieces of art. And people. I don't expect to like everything and everyone I come across, but nonetheless, I think everyone has a right to be who they are. Diversity as well in looks as in moods makes the world so much more exciting place to live than it would be if we were all the same. I'm not saying that everybody should shout out their own views and thoughts and express themselves by dressing up like Lady Gaga. Individuality means that each and everyone of us is unique and special in their own way. If you are quiet, shy and want to blend in the mass, then it's who you are and nothing to be ashamed of. Nor is it a reason to think yourself less important, valuable or relevant than any other person.
I think individuality means also that you're free from comparing people to each other. When we accept that there isn't an absolute indicator to evaluate human beings it becomes easier to see the beauty of diversity. As long as we stay stuck in our own ideas and conceptions of right and wrong we end up, more or less gloriously living in a far smaller and flatter reality than it could be if we only dared be a little more open and tolerant. Tolerant towards ourselves as well as others.
To be who you are asks for courage. You have to give up pondering what other people might think of your appearance, taste of music, new hobby or whatever it is. Again this is not about changing from quiet person into extrovert. It's not about changing anything unless you want to. Finding one's own personality is more accepting than making changes. It's learning to see the good sides and noticing the flaws. To be honest, I don't see any feature as good or bad but more like neutral, crucial parts of humanity. When we abandon the usual good-bad, right-wrong separation and begin to look at the big picture, the whole of things we can see a whole new world (a new fantastic point of view, ok I Disney-fied this....) with possibilities and not just things that are somehow wrong.

So yes, individuality is my I.

And there'd be much more to say about this matter but I lost my concentration already so here we are.

And by the way, I Am What I Am is an awesome song! Performed by John Barrowman, of course. Originally it's Gloria Gaynor's.

No comments:

Post a Comment